Bits of Trinity

Between the last post on divine fatherhood, the Facebook musings of people who demonstrate that we're not doing a good enough job teaching the Trinity, and my own ongoing musings on how not to be an anti-Trinitarian heretic, I've been wanting to write something new on how properly to disagree with the creeds and councils. (I.e. resepctfully: in their own terms, according to their own project, and by way of response in today's terms to the problem understood in its own terms. Wrestling as Barth did with Schleiermacher, rather than as Brunner did.)

But I haven't the time, since I have a prospectus draft due Wednesday.

So: two things for your consumption. The first is mine: An Account of the Divine Logos, in which I engage in an attempt to get several commonly-missed aspects of the Trinity right, inclusing some the Fathers missed. And the second is that Bobby Grow has a new series starting, "Who is the Christian God?", and I look forward to following it, and think you should, too.

(Yes, I've reached the point where I can reply to theological problems by self-citation.)

(And yes, mine is a decidedly long piece, forewarned is forearmed—but I wasn't about to repost the whole thing here, for exactly that reason. In my defense, I hadn't learned to write series yet. Bobby's is much easier on the eyes.)

(But seriously, if you do find me a heretic, go ahead and argue with me. Maybe I will write that piece next week.)

Thanks for your time!

Comments

  1. Thank you, Matt. Well, I find yours to be easy on the eyes too ;-). I hope you start a series on this as well, and soon. I "caveated" my series with the idea that it will be ongoing ... so this just might make it more manageable for me, since I always have problems with finishing through on blog series, my attention span, with the blog anyway, is much shorter than a commitment to a real linear series allows for :-). But I seriously do intend on doing this, I am realizing more and more how shallow the waters are for church people (for example, I was just talking with my mom last night--and I love my mom, and my mom loves Jesus so much!--and she had never heard of the council of Nicaea until we spoke last night--and I'm afraid this is way too normal for most American Christians, regardless of the denomination or mood of which they are a part---and even if they know of the council of Nicaea or others, they usually don't know more than the wrote that they "might" recite in their liturgies, if they are "high" church Prot etc.). Anyway, I feel motivated to do this, and I'm glad you do too :-)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts