More Koine Pedagogy

All right, I'm teaching my way through the nominative case still, on the adjective-first trajectory. Which I like, because it lets me teach the 2-1-2 forms, and just say "this is normal masculine, feminine, and neutral declension," all at once, even with the eta/alpha differences. And it lets me break up the "consonant declension" grab-bag into more commonly-used pieces, like the -us/-eia/-u adjective paradigm. I think I'm going to teach the true consonant declensions with their consonant groups, and perhaps introduce more verb cases that way.

So the sequence so far looks like this:
Alphabet
Phonics I: vowels, diphthongs, breathings and accents
Noun System Introduction: Gender, Number and Case
Noun System I: Nominative Case
- Part 1: articles, three-gender adjectives (2-1-2-eta, 2-1-2-alpha, and -us/-eia/-u), and 2-1-2 nouns (vocabulary)
- Part 2: descriptive phrases (grammar)
- Part 3: noun sentences (grammar)
- Part 4: verbal sentences with eimi (grammar)
- Part 5: conjunctions, negations, and personal pronouns (grammar and vocabulary)
Along the way, I've figured out the trivial difference between descriptive phrases and noun sentences, in terms of rules and not in terms of memorizing paradigms. If an article goes with the adjective, it belongs to the noun as an attribute. Substantive adjectives contribute to the noun-substance. If the noun has an article, but there is no article with the adjective, then the verb eimi is implied. The whole thing comes down to articular or anarthrous adjectives.

Genitive is the next case, and I'm puzzling over whether I should teach third-declension nouns there, because the genitive in each reveals the true stem. I've avoided basic words like man, woman, father, daughter, etc., because the paradigms aren't easy to teach from the nominative, and I don't want to have to split early vocabulary lists later on because "these are regular this way, and these aren't."

And for anybody out there, the easier (but maybe deeper) question is, should I handle anything else in the nominative case before I move on?

Thanks, and/or I hope this is useful!

Comments

  1. Ah! I forgot comparatives and superlatives. That's another grammar and vocabulary item, because I can teach more, most, -er, and -est, but the I also need to teach "good, better, best," and "bad, worse, worst" alongside "bad, badder, baddest." (Among others, of course -- words that have irregular comparatives and superlatives.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment